Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

By: Jennifer Kendall

As I was walking on the treadmill at the gym last night, and watching American Idol (yes, I admit), I saw many commercials come on the television regarding Earth Day. There were ads for "green" cars, biodegradable potato chip bags, and more. The commercials kept coming, and they made me ask myself an important question: what am I planning to do to honor the Earth this Earth Day?

This morning, 7:00am, the alarm went off. As I saw the sun peering through the curtains, I thought to myself - "Goodmorning Earth and Happy Earth Day." I still hadn't come up with anything spectacular to do to honor the Earth today, but then it dawned on me in the shower that at the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, every day is spent honoring the Earth and particulary the rare breeds of livestock and poultry.

Every day my co-workers tackle projects that help keep breeds alive. Each day our members work hand-in-hand with rare breeds to ensure that our children and our children's children will have the opportunity to enjoy these animals. Each day our partners in conservation and sustainability work hard to ensure that other parts of our Earth are conserved and cherished.

So, on this Earth Day, I'm not doing anything too special. I'm sitting at my desk writing this blog post and its fulfilling and rewarding to know that the work that I am a part of is a critical part in the conservation of this Earth.

Thanks to all the ALBC members, supporters, breeders, and partners that make our work possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment