Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Fiber artist profile: Rebecca Kleinschmidt


This is part of our series on fiber artists who are participating in Shave 'Em to Save 'Em.

What fiber art(s) do you participate in and for how long have you done each one?
Knitting and crocheting for over 40 years. Some weaving and felting for a very short time years ago.

When did you start working with fiber from rare breeds of sheep?
This is my first time. I started spinning about 2 months ago and simply loving this initiative.

What was your biggest surprise when you purchased your first rare breed wool?
How different it was versus commercial roving. The commercial wool I purchase seems more compact and needs to be divided to get a more consistent spin; it feels commercialized. Roving directly from the shepherds is lighter and feels softer. I am a very new spinner, so the wool that I purchased directly from the farmer is easier because I can see the individual staples better and the roving/combed top is processed in such that it does not need much separating. I just get it started and it almost spins itself!

Have you had any challenges purchasing wool directly from shepherds?
Most shepherds are very responsive but the Hog Island roving I purchased was really dirty. It left a pile of dust on my lap and each inch had VM. 🙁

What do you love most about working with rare breeds? 
The variance in the different breeds. Learning what fiber/breed type is best for which project. Some of the wool is much lighter or softer than others. Examples: yarn spun from CVM/Romeldale is much lighter and ’spongey’ compared to yarn spun from Shetland. The CVM would be better suited for next to skin wear versus Shetland geared more towards outerwear or winter accessories such as mittens or hats.

What is your favorite wool from sheep on the Conservation Priority List and why?
Although I like most of them, Tunis and Cotswold are my favorites so far. They are easy to spin for a newbie like myself.

What bit of advice would you give another fiber artists who is just starting to explore the world of rare breed wools?
Give it a try! Even spinners that have been working with fiber for many years are experiencing something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment